Using a multimeter, a jumper wire, and a 12-24 volt power source, you can test the condition and functions of your golf cart motor without removing it from the cart. It’s always best to label the cables going to your electric motor and put a corresponding label on the motor itself if it does not already have one.
How do you test a club car motor?
Connect the positive jumper cable to the positive battery terminal on the 12-volt battery. Touch the other end of the positive battery cable to the A2 terminal on the electric motor. Once the positive battery cable touches the A2 terminal, the motor should start turning and the rear wheels should start turning as well.
How do you troubleshoot an electric club car?
There are a few simple problems that you can fix yourself that will not necessitate professional maintenance.
- Test the wall socket where you charge your cart. …
- Expose your golf cart batteries. …
- Test the batteries for voltage. …
- Replace dead batteries. …
- Expose the motor for inspection. …
- Reset the motor. …
- Test the cart.
How do I reset my club car motor?
Easily Reset the Club Car Golf Cart OBC
- Key switch to off.
- Set forward/reverse to neutral.
- Put tow/run switch to tow.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery pack.
- Put the tow/run switch to run.
- Put forward/reverse switch to reverse.
- Put key switch to on.
How do I know if my golf cart controller is bad?
When your golf cart’s speed controller isn’t operating correctly, your cart will show it by running erratically or failing to drive at one constant speed. If your cart starts showing these symptoms, the first thing you should look at is your speed controller.
How do I reset my electric golf cart motor?
First, you’ll want to reset your motor.
It should have a small reset button (Usually it will be red) located near the main battery supply. Hit the reset button and then put the cover back on the motor. The next step would be to recharge your cart and try turning it on again. If it starts up then you’re in luck!
What can go wrong with electric golf carts?
What Are the Most Common Problems With Electric Golf Carts?
- Batteries That Break Down or Lose Charge. If your golf cart won’t start, the first thing we suggest it checking your battery! …
- Solenoid Breakdowns. The solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that works as the magnet carrying an electric current. …
- Issues With the Ignition. …
- Speed Controller. …
- Direction Switch.
How do I test my club car controller?
How to Test Club Car Precedent Controller? To test a club car precedent controller, connect a voltmeter between the negative terminal of your cart’s battery and the M terminal on the controller. Then push the pedal down and look for a clicking noise from the solenoid. Your batteries should read as full.
How can I speed up my electric golf cart?
6 Ways You Can Make a Golf Cart Faster
- Add More Torque to Your Golf Cart.
- Upgrade Your Golf Cart’s Motor.
- Improve the High-Speed Controller of the Cart.
- Add Better Golf Cart Tires.
- Use a Higher Powered Golf Cart Battery.
- Watch the Weight in Your Golf Cart.
How do I reset my club car charger?
How to reset your Club Car’s OBC after a fault
- Key Switch to Off.
- Forward/Reverse to Neutral.
- Tow/Run Switch to Tow.
- Disconnect the Battery NEGATIVE (–) wire from the Battery Minus terminal on the battery pack.
- Put the Tow/Run to Run.
- Forward/Reverse Switch to Reverse.
- Key Switch to On.
- Lock the throttle pedal down.
What do the lights on a club car charger mean?
Excel System vehicles with the ERIC Charging system feature a dash mounted charge indicator light below the steering column that serves two functions: 1) Battery low state of charge warning, and 2) Charging confirmation. Battery Low State of Charge Warning.
What causes an electric golf cart to lose power?
Guru: Lou, the issue you are having can be caused by a battery not holding its charge or a compromised battery cable connection. First, check the battery cables and their connection at the batteries. If all seem to be good, move on to testing the batteries.
What does a speed sensor do on a golf cart?
The speed sensor on a golf cart is used to interpret the rpm of a motor. From there, it then passes this information to the speed controller found in the cart. The point of this device is to keep control of the many motor functions that exist.
What happens if you tow a golf cart in run mode?
Basically, you’ll be trying to tow a cart which is fighting you to slow itself down. If you do not flip the switch to “TOW” prior to pulling the vehicle, you can cause serious and even catastrophic damage to the controller, the motor, or both.
What causes a golf cart not to start?
Make sure the battery is fully charged and the terminals are cleaned and secure. Next, see how the water level in the battery is holding up. … Other battery issues, such as off-kilter wiring or corrosion and melted wires could be causing your ignition. If you find a leak, you’ll need to replace the battery itself.